What Stops Us From Being Able To Participate In The Activities That Make Up Our Lives?
We have just visited the various age groups and different activities that they may be choosing to do, feel driven to do or are just part of that particular stage of life. As you can see each stage of life does have different types of activities but there are always the activities that are essential to each group, they are:
• Self Care
• Work (paid and unpaid)
• Functional Activities such as cooking, cleaning, washing, accessing the community
When people are unable to participate in any of the above-mentioned activities due to various different barriers such as age, physical abilities, cognitive abilities, illness and the environment (babies, toddlers and little children aside, except for play and self care activities when past a certain age) it leaves a person prone to the following:
• Decrease in self-efficacy
• Increased likelihood of depression and chronic health issues
• Increased likelihood of participation in negative health-related activities which further affect abilities to participate in activities.
Working with people to encourage them or assist (where required) to increase their participation in activities that they choose will:
• Increase self-efficacy
• Decrease depression
• Increase motivation to participate in positive activities
• Increase quality of life
• Increase confidence
If you would like to discuss how you can best participate in any of the above-mentioned activities drop me an email at masteryofdoing
Have a great weekend.